What can you do to create a strong sense of belonging within your organization?
- Lead with an inspirational mission and purpose that aligns and creates an emotional connection with all employees.
- Encode and live by a strong set of values that guide both business and interpersonal behaviors. Emphasize things like respect, collaboration and fun.
- Set the expectation and train your leaders to be champions of your purpose and exemplars of your values. Teach them how to be open, available and inclusive.
- Immediately and decisively deal with behavior that is not in line with your values, especially if it occurs with someone in a leadership position.
- Know and respect all employees as complete individuals with their own personal relationships, interests and challenges.
- Communicate openly and inclusively, particularly regarding business or organizational issues that have the potential to adversely affect employees.
- Encourage positive social connection and enjoyment in the workplace.
- Provide vehicles and opportunities for all employees to have a voice.