Your first action has to be to remove obstacles that cause setbacks to inner work life.
Because one setback has more power to effect inner work life than one incident that causes progress. The effect of setbacks on emotions is stronger than the effect of progress.
- The power of setbacks to diminish happiness is more than twice as strong as the power of progress to boost happiness. The power of setbacks to increase frustration is more than three times as strong as the power of progress to decrease frustration.
- Small losses can overwhelm small wins. Similarly, small everyday hassles at work hold more sway than small everyday supports.
- Negative team leader behaviors affect inner work life more broadly than positive team leader behaviors.
- The connection between mood and negative work events is about five times stronger than the connection between mood and positive events.
- Employees recall more negative leader actions than positive actions, and they recall the negative actions more intensely and in more detail than the positive ones.